Monday 8 December 2014

Manicure Monday: Metallic Khaki

A couple of months ago I stumbled into the Burberry Beauty shop in Covent Garden, and after a long chat with one of the loveliest shop assistants I was persuaded to do something uncharacteristically impulsive.

I bought a nail polish that wasn't red, pink or neutral.

I left the shop with number 202: Metallic Khaki.


I'm not going to lie, I was extremely sceptical that I'd ever actually use it, and a (rather large) part of me was convinced this would sit in the corner of my nail polish collection unused and gathering dust. Admittedly it's taken me months to pluck up the courage to take it out of its box and take it for a spin, but now it's on I genuinely absolutely love it.

As a rule, I hate metallic shades and I rarely buy green. Metallic Khaki, therefore, is so far out of my comfort zone I don't quite know what to do with myself. As it turns out, the green is a very subtle undertone with the dominant colour being a shimmering bronze. It's very, very festive, and I like it as it manages to be both fun (well, this is as fun as polish gets for me…) and understated. The glittery effect isn't instantly obvious and from a distance it just looks like an extremely dark green. It's only in certain lighting and close up that the bronze takes centre stage. This couldn't be more perfect for me and my first foray into different colours!

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM uk.burberry.com)

I'm ridiculously impressed with Burberry. The formula is wonderful - it's a lot thicker than I'm normally used to but it glides on effortlessly and gives a brilliantly neat finish in that doesn't require a top coat. I applied two coats, and the colour has an astonishing amount of depth and is completely opaque. It also dried really, really quickly which I was not expecting at all! I painted my nails last night before I went to bed, so I was expecting to wake up with creases all over them and having to apply another coat as damage control this morning. For the first time ever I didn't need to: somehow the polish set such that it was impossible to smudge, and as I haven't managed to chip it yet either I'm thinking it's going to last ages. Good lord I'm impressed.


Never in a million years did I think I'd like (or even be brave enough to buy) a shade called Metallic Khaki, but I'm so glad I did. I'm now desperate to try out other Burberry shades: if the formula is anything like this one then they're guaranteed to impress. At £15 each Burberry polishes are definitely a treat, but if you're prepared to fight your way through the Christmas crowds at TK Maxx then recently I've been finding a small selection of Burberry makeup (along with Essie, O.P.I. and Ciaté) at heavily discounted prices in the beauty aisle. I snapped up another Burberry polish last week, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out each time I'm near a TK Maxx!

What do you think of Metallic Khaki? Will it be making its way onto your Christmas list?

1 comment:

  1. Woah did you really find Burberry in TK Maxx? You lucky thing!! You've made me want one so much!

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig