Monday 17 November 2014

Manicure Monday: Bordeaux

I had another look at my nail polish collection last week and finally decided that I needed to bite the bullet and actually buy a couple of winter appropriate shades. After approximately a decade crouching beside an Essie display in Boots I settled on three deep red colours, all of which upon reflection look pretty much identical in natural light. Oops.

As Christmas music is now on a repetitive loop in shops and festive films are infiltrating nearly every channel on the television it's getting harder to ignore the impending holiday season, so I've gone for Bordeaux on my nails: a beautiful dark red the colour of mulled wine.


In the shop and under artificial light I was a little concerned that Bordeaux would look slightly brown on, but luckily this is very much a deep red. It definitely errs more towards brown than purple in the undertones, but that's not at all the dominant colour. Bordeaux has enormous depth, which is sort of to be expected given the amount of wine puns in the official description… It reminds me of mulled wine, and makes me want to pull on a cable-knit jumper and curl up on the sofa to watch Elf (which I haven't done yet - as much as I'd like to - as it's only November and contrary to popular belief I do actually have self-restraint at Christmas…).

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.boots.com)

With it being such a dark colour it took 3 coats to achieve an even finish. It was acceptable - but a little patchy - after 2, so the third coat just neatened the manicure off perfectly and added an enormously glossy shine that negated the need for a top coat. However, I'll probably add a top coat in a few days time to help prolong the look. Until then, though, I think it looks alright! Selected Essie polishes are also 3 for 2 at Boots at the moment, so if you like the look of Bordeaux then it's definitely worth using the offer to treat yourself or get started on your Christmas shopping!


I love this so much: it's the exact deep red I've been imagining buying in my head, and the fact that it's Essie just makes the polish so much better for me! Also, the name and colour remind me so much of Scandal, and as Series 3 starts to draw to a close on Sky I'm loving the fact that I have Olivia Pope nails! I'm not going to lie: my productivity has soared, and every time I cross something off on my to-do list I say to myself that it's handled. I should be embarrassed but I'm not.

Now all I need is a killer coat, the president and some popcorn.

(GIF SOURCED FROM www.sadgirlsguide.com)

So, what do you think of Bordeaux? Are you as big a fan of Essie as me?! Let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

CUSTOM BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig