Monday 9 February 2015

EE BAFTAs 2015 Best Dressed

It's an astonishing year for film, but unfortunately the red carpet this year was so underwhelming.

The BAFTAs are my favourite awards show - mainly because they're so quintessentially British - but I've never been so unenthused to write a fashion post. Normally I can't wait to write all about the red carpet, buoyed along by the news of the ceremony itself: the delight of the winners, the losers' fixed fake smiles, overly long acceptance speeches and Stephen Fry's fantastic one-liners. I don't know whether I set unrealistic expectations in my head yesterday, but the ceremony went as expected - there were very few surprises, and aside from the embarrassing lack of love for Mr Turner I was pleased with all the winners - and the red carpet was so, so disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, on the whole everyone looked good, but virtually every sartorial choice was exceedingly safe - bordering on boring - and wasn't exactly eye-catching. The menswear was much, much better than the dresses worn by the women, but it's harder to have an immediate glowing impact with a tux than it is with a gown. Nothing beats a well cut and exquisitely tailored suit, but even the majority of men seemed to play it safe and stick to traditional, black tuxes instead of mixing it up with different textures and colours. The Times film critic Kate Muir offered up the #BAFTAsSoBland hashtag, and I have to agree. Eugh, what went wrong?!


I watched the live stream of the red carpet on the BAFTA website from 5pm before giving up trying to use my dodgy countryside internet and instead waited for the 9pm BBC broadcast (which is on the iPlayer now). To be honest, I didn't see a single look that made me stop what I was doing and think "wow". Julie Walters was the first person to actually catch my attention as she rushed down the red carpet, but I'm not sure if that's because I immediately loved her look, or if it's because she was covered head-to-toe in sequins. Everyone else I saw was a little bit 'meh'.

I've spent the morning pouring over Vogue UK; Elle UK; Harper's Bazaar; Buzzfeed; Grazia and Stylist, trying to desperately find a look I somehow missed last night that was actually incredible. An entire morning of searching later and I'm still underwhelmed. Yes, I like the outfits outlined below, but I'm honestly not exactly blown away by any of them.

It's such a shame: the films celebrated last night are so, so brilliant that it's beyond annoying that the fashion didn't do them justice.

BEST DRESSED WOMAN: ROSAMUND PIKE

I've been pretty unimpressed with Rosamund Pike's awards season wardrobe: she's been taking really bold risks that in my opinion haven't been paying off particularly well, but I actually quite liked her outfit here. Harsh as it may seem I think this is the best of a rather average bunch: she looks great, yes, but - as with everyone else - it's not jaw-droppingly wonderful. Amazing Amy, she is not. However, this classic black halter neck Roland Mouret gown accents her figure well, and while it may be demure and rather simple, it still has a striking effect, particularly when paired with beautiful Bulgari jewellery. In this case, understated elegance has won out and placed Rosamund at the top of the class for me.

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.vogue.co.uk)

BEST DRESSED MAN: MICHAEL KEATON

He may not have taken home the BAFTA Award for Leading Actor last night for his portrayal of ageing actor Riggan in the utterly brilliant Birdman, but Keaton was a winner on the red carpet. This double-breasted tuxedo is just beautiful - looking grey in certain camera flashes - and screams old Hollywood. I absolutely love it, but just wish I could find out who the designer is! Well done, Michael!

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.vogue.co.uk)

BEST DRESSED COUPLE: EDDIE REDMAYNE & HANNAH BAGSHAWE

Probably the most loved-up couple of the evening, BAFTA winner Eddie Redmayne continued his Best Dressed success story in this amazing midnight blue velvet Giorgio Armani suit. His wife, Hannah Bagshawe, isn't normally particularly memorable on the fashion-front, but this sparkling Valentino gown fits her perfectly and she just looks stunning. Excellent effort from the Redmaynes!

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.vogue.co.uk)


NOTABLE MENTION: JULIE WALTERS

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.buzzfeed.com)

NOTABLE MENTION: KRISTIN SCOTT THOMAS
1948 Balmain Couture dress from William Vintage

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.vogue.co.uk)

NOTABLE MENTION: STEVE CARELL

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM uk.eonline.com)

THE BEST OF THE REST…

PHOEBE FOX
Louisa Parris dress

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.stylist.co.uk)

MATTHEW BEARD

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.buzzfeed.com)

AMY ADAMS
Custom Lanvin dress // Jimmy Choo heels // Cartier jewellery

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.vogue.co.uk)

DAVID BECKHAM
Tom Ford suit

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.harpersbazaar.co.uk)

LAURA BAILEY
Emilia Wickstead dress

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.vogue.co.uk)

TOM HIDDLESTON
Alexander McQueen tuxedo

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.harpersbazaar.co.uk)

FELICITY JONES
Prada SS13 Couture dress // Van Cleef and Arpel jewellery // Brian Atwood heels

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.stylist.co.uk)

ETHAN HAWKE
Lanvin tuxedo

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM uk.eonline.com)

GUGU MBATHA-RAW
Prada dress

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.graziadaily.co.uk)

REESE WITHERSPOON
Stella McCartney dress

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.graziadaily.co.uk)

DOUGLAS BOOTH

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.harpersbazaar.co.uk)

JULIANNE MOORE
Tom Ford dress // Chopard jewellery

I hate, hate, hate the choker on this Tom Ford dress, but given how lovely the rest of it is I feel sort of obligated it include it… Julianne Moore is probably one of the only red-heads that can pull off a dual-textured red dress on the red carpet (it really shouldn't work) and the actress and Tom Ford are always a match made in heaven. I just wish the choker had been replaced with subtle jewellery or nothing at all. Eugh.

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.vogue.co.uk)

BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH & SOPHIE HUNTER
Bespoke Alexander McQueen tuxedo // Maison Martin Margiela dress

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.buzzfeed.co.uk)


I'm not really sure what to say… I'm so sad no-one has really stood out for me, and I'm a little bit gutted that Rosamund Pike's simple (but admittedly beautiful) black offering was my favourite - I've liked branching out with my Best Dressed lists over the last year and venturing away from monochrome into celebrating more interesting colours, textures and shapes. It feels almost like a backwards step for me!

I do, however, love Michael Keaton's double-breasted suit. Although, this recent trend of menswear pushing the envelope and encompassing new styles and subtle colours onto the red carpet doesn't seem to have made its way to London. As one of the most fashionable cities in the world I would have expected the men to up their game at the Royal Opera House last night, but they too played it safe, sticking instead to classic cuts tailored to perfection. The likes of Douglas Booth and James Norton (not pictured above - I can't find a decent photograph anywhere!) were in the minority, which isn't ideal at all!

It's not all bad though: the ceremony was predictably excellent, and the BBC1 twitter account was on fire with an evening of genius tweets, including my favourites:





So who was your best dressed at the 2015 EE BAFTAs? Were you as underwhelmed as me or did the red carpet blow you away? Do let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig