Thursday 1 January 2015

Blogging in 2015

I love blogging.

As far as hobbies go, I'm extremely glad I took it up two and a half years ago and I'm even more pleased that I've stuck with it.




It started as something to do during the summer after my first year at university.

I'd hit rock bottom, having spent a regrettable year with people that made me feel worthless and unwittingly encouraged me to give in to every negative thought in my head that I'd ever had about myself. I was lost, more miserable than I knew how to cope with, and ready to completely give up, so I desperately needed something to pull me out of the self-destructive mindset I'd fallen into. The prospect of blogging was never something I actively sought out or pursued, but instead something I fell into. Writing about the film that changed my life - not exaggerated in the slightest, I owe The Dark Knight Rises an awful lot… - seemed the next logical step.

(GIF SOURCED FROM www.buzzfeed.com)

Setting myself the challenge of photographing my baking and writing about the films I saw gave me a reason to get out of bed every morning and not let my head completely take over. However, what started out as something to forcibly help me be happy actually worked, and I loved having something positive to do that I really enjoyed.

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.instagram.com/resultswithlucy)

Naturally it fell away during term time and going to a university that left me constantly drowning in work meant it wasn't my priority at all. Although, over the last two years I've relished the time away from studying to blog. I don't mind the hours it takes to bake in order to meticulously photograph every stage, and I actually enjoyed the nights I spent staying up tracking American awards to post a red carpet fashion article first thing the next morning. I never pulled an all nighter for an essay, but I did it religiously for the Oscars and Golden Globes.

I've never had a particular niche and I'm definitely not out to make any money or forge a career from this. Blogging has always been just a hobby for me - like baking, reading, and being unhealthily obsessed with superhero films - and I want to keep it that way.

(GIF SOURCED FROM www.essaycrisis.tumblr.com)

As is probably obvious from the spamtastic levels of links I've been posting since July, I set myself the challenge of significantly upping my blogging and the regularity of my posts. In an uncertain period of my life when I had absolutely no idea what direction to turn and which avenue to pursue, blogging provided a productive hobby to divert my time and attention to. Writing and researching topics I was interested in - no matter how varied they may be - has temporarily given me purpose and direction. It's not exactly been leading up to anything specific, but more of a personal acknowledgement that I can stick to a goal for six months and ultimately follow a challenge through.

This period of uncertainty and thus the desire to blog with increased frequency has come to an end. I'm no longer quite so clueless as to where I'm heading, and therefore in order for life to take over the blog has to take a backseat. That's not to say I'm packing it in altogether, merely that I won't be doing it as much.


My posting schedule for the foreseeable future will be as follows:

Regular weekly posts:
- Transformation Tuesday // TUESDAY // Weekly weight loss update
- The Ciné File // SUNDAY // Mini reviews of all the films I've seen during the week

Regular monthly posts:
- Coming Soon // FIRST DAY OF EVERY MONTH // Round-up of the best new releases in cinemas during the month

The three above posts are the only ones I'll be doing regularly - anything else will be entirely dependent on my circumstances and if I have time. As we enter awards season I'm hoping to do more fashion posts in correspondence with the red carpets and if I come across any particularly exciting recipes I'll be posting them too over the year. There will be no more Manicure Monday posts each week, but instead I'll be restricting nail polish reviews to an Instagram picture. Also, although I intended to continue with Technical Thursdays I don't want to commit to anymore at this stage as they're so time consuming. If I do manage any though, they're recipes that will definitely be blogged!


I'm aware this is a bit of an odd post, but I've never really addressed why I actually started blogging in the first place and where this was all headed to. Thank you for reading it all anyway: the support is tremendous, and I appreciate each and every reader whether you click on everything I post or just follow specific pieces on certain days. You're all lovely.

Here's to a wonderful 2015!

Emma x

No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig